As a retired member of the military, you may be entitled to low-cost dental insurance through the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP). Compared to the now-defunct TriCare Retiree Dental Program (TRDP), you can choose from multiple dental insurance providers.
We’ll take a closer look at fedvip’s dental programs, exploring who’s eligible, how much coverage costs, and how you can choose a plan. We’ll also introduce you to some of our favorite fedvip approved providers, allowing you to take advantage of the best military retiree dental insurance policies for you and your family.
Reading: What is the best dental insurance for retired military
best dental insurance providers for military retirees
Now that you understand how dental insurance works, it’s time to shop around. Let’s take a look at some of the best dental insurance providers you’ll see on the fedvip marketplace.
1. health care united
dental plans with unitedhealthcare are designed to keep you as healthy as possible while giving you the flexibility your family needs. Switching to unitedhealthcare can make it easier for you to add dental coverage to your insurance portfolio or simply get the coverage you need when it’s not offered anywhere else.
You may be living on a fixed income. This can make it more important than ever to make sure you don’t overpay for insurance. You may be looking for the cheapest coverage available, so consider a merits plan. ameritas offers some of the most affordable plans. individual options start at around $6 a month. it also offers $0 deductibles on its most affordable plans when you need to visit the dentist.
A high coinsurance percentage can seriously affect your budget, especially if you or someone on your plan needs a major dental procedure. MetLife’s MetLife Federal Dental Plan offers PPO coverage as well as low coinsurance rates.
See also: Steps to Take After Causing a Car Accident | At-Fault Accident
You will pay 0% coinsurance for routine services and only 30% for basic corrective procedures (such as cavity fillings). plans also include coverage for orthodontia. you’ll pay just 30% of the cost of any braces, which can quickly add up to tens of thousands of dollars in savings. Best of all, MetLife plans do not have a lifetime maximum benefit limit.
Are you planning to balance the cost of your deductible with your monthly premium? if so, look for a human plan. Humana’s federal insurance plans include a $0 deductible on their most affordable plan options.
humana dental insurance costs as little as $12 per month in most of the country and a family will pay around $35 per month. plans also include a maximum benefit limit and 0% coinsurance for preventive services.
You don’t like any of the plans you’re seeing on the fedvip market? If you want to shop for coverage on the open market, start with a visit to dentalplans.com.
dentalplans.com is a quick and easy comparison tool that allows you to view and compare all dental insurance plans available in your area. just enter your zip code and click the 1 button to start shopping for insurance. dentalplans.com can give you access to more plan options. Keep in mind that non-FedVIP plans may cost a bit more than marketplace options.
who is eligible for retired military dental insurance?
at least one of the following qualifications must be true to qualify for fedvip discount military retiree dental insurance. you must be:
- Over 65 and eligible for retired military pay.
- a member of the reserve or retired guard.
- A retired “gray area” reservist will begin receiving retired military benefits at age 60.
- the spouse of a military retiree who is already enrolled in fedvip.
- child of a service member receiving fedvip benefits: must be under 21 years of age or a full-time student under 23 years of age.
- the unmarried surviving spouse of a service member who died in the line of duty or as a result of a service-connected injury or illness.
- a recipient of a Medal of Honor or the spouse of a recipient of a Medal of Honor.
- lost your dental insurance (for example, by leaving a job or canceling your independent coverage)
- gained a new family member
- lost a family member
- you moved to a different zip code and no longer have dental insurance because your provider doesn’t serve your new area
- dental health maintenance organizations (dhmos): dhmos has an established network of dental providers who accept your insurance. When you sign up for a DHMO plan, your insurance provider provides you with a list of dentists in your network that accept your insurance plan. If you need dental work or services, you must go to one of our network dentists. otherwise, you cannot use your benefits. dhmos are often the most affordable dental insurance options you’ll find, but service areas can be quite limited.
- preferred provider organizations (ppos): You can choose to see any dentist you want if you have a ppo plan, although you can almost always save money by going to an in-network provider. PPO plans are typically more expensive than DHMO plans, but may be worth the extra expense if you already have a dentist you like.
- An Affordable Deductible: Your deductible is a set amount of money you must spend on your own dental bills before your insurance kicks in and begins paying for your care. if you choose a plan with too high a deductible, you could be stuck with an insurance plan you can’t afford. shop for plans with deductibles that fit your budget; some insurance providers even offer $0 deductible options.
- A low coinsurance percentage: Coinsurance is the percentage of dental health care costs you must cover after you meet your deductible. For example, if you receive a bill for $100 and have a coinsurance rate of 20%, you will be responsible for paying $20 of this bill. Look for an insurance plan with low coinsurance rates to get the most out of your dental insurance plan.
- many treatments covered: Unlike health insurance providers, dental insurance providers are free to choose which services they will cover. for example, many dental insurance companies exclude adult sealants and orthodontia from coverage. be sure to check your official statement of benefits before enrolling in any dental insurance plan.
See also: Auto Insurance Rates Are Increasing in 2022. Heres How to Prepare | Bankrate
You can enroll in fedvip only during the open enrollment period. this period usually begins in mid-November and lasts until the end of December. however, you may qualify for a special enrollment period if you have experienced any of the following qualifying life events:
Not sure if you qualify for a special enrollment period? create a benefeds enrollment profile.
types of dental coverage
fedvip dental insurance plans are serviced by private companies. These companies often offer DHMO and PPO coverage. let’s take a look at the differences.
average cost of dental insurance for military retirees
the fedvip marketplace gives you access to significant discounts on dental insurance. For an individual plan, expect to pay $10 to $15 a month for coverage. For a family plan, expect to pay between $30 and $45 per month.
what to look for in a dental insurance provider
Not all dental insurance plans are a great deal. When shopping for insurance, be sure to look for these key features:
choosing the best military dental insurance
The specific plan options available to you will depend on where you live and the dental insurance companies licensed to do business in your area. Be sure to get some quotes from competing insurance companies to ensure you don’t overpay for coverage. The best dental insurance for military retirees should meet your needs and ensure you get the level of coverage you need. Since every family is different, shop around for the right insurance policy before simply accepting the first plan you find.
See also: Car Insurance for Subaru WRX | Bankrate