Because most Texans have multiple types of insurance (health, auto, home, etc.), we’re on the lookout for insurance scams and deceptive insurance practices.
our role in the insurance industry
When requested by the texas department of insurance, the attorney general’s office represents the department and its commissioner in court. The Texas Department of Insurance is the official state agency charged with regulating the insurance industry in Texas.
- visit the texas department of insurance website
- file a complaint using their online insurance complaint process
- call (800) 252-3439 if you have questions or need help filing a complaint with them
- rates, forms, and rules affecting personal insurance coverages, such as auto, home property, title, and credit insurance, or
- forms and rules for life, accident and health insurance.
- visit the public insurance board office website for more information
- if you feel you have been scammed, file a complaint immediately with the texas department of insurance and the division of consumer protection.
- Find out if the company is licensed to write policies in Texas by using the Texas Insurance Company Search Department or by calling them at 1-800-252-3439.
- You may want to make sure a person or business is a licensed insurance agent or agency in texas by using the texas department of insurance agent search or by calling them at 1-800-252-3439 .
In addition, the Division of Consumer Protection reviews insurance practices and complaints in Texas for possible violations of the Texas Deceptive Business Practices: Consumer Protection Act or Chapter 541 of the Texas Insurance Code. in the appropriate case, our division has the right to sue on behalf of the state of texas.
Reading: How to report insurance fraud in texas
Do you have an insurance complaint?
the texas department of insurance can help you with your insurance problems, complaints, and questions.
We also recommend that you file your complaint with us, the Office of the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division. but keep in mind that the law prohibits us from being his attorney or advising him on his specific situation.
role of the public insurance attorney’s office
See also: What Health Insurance Do Celebrities Have? –
The Office of the Public Board of Insurance is the official state office that represents the interests of Texas consumers in regulatory matters related to:
when your office receives complaints and information suggesting a widespread problem in one of these areas for texas consumers, they can take action. the office of the public insurance council represents the interests of texas consumers as a group or class. by law, they cannot represent individual consumers.
common insurance scams
misleading or worthless health care discount cards
Some health care discount programs are legitimate. You can learn more by visiting the Texas Department of Insurance’s Discount Healthcare Programs online resource page, including how to sign up for a discount program and spot an attempted scam.
unauthorized insurance companies and fraudulent policies
some companies that appear to be acting as insurers are not authorized to write insurance in texas. they could be writing fraudulent policies. Be very suspicious of coverage that seems too good to be true or rates well below what other insurance companies quote.
See also: Biden-Harris Administration Requires Insurance Companies and Group Health Plans to Cover the Cost of At-Home COVID-19 Tests, Increasing Access to Free Tests | HHS.gov
if you’re considering purchasing insurance issued by a company you don’t recognize, or if you’re suspicious of the company or the coverage it offers, you may want to verify that the company is licensed by the texas department of insurance to write that coverage in Texas. With very few exceptions, insurance companies writing policies in Texas must be licensed by the department.
if the company is not listed as authorized to write the type of coverage offered, ask the texas department of insurance if the company needs to be licensed in texas to write the policy. You can also use their website to report insurance fraud.
unlicensed insurance agents and agent fraud
Insurance agents and agencies must be licensed by the Texas Department of Insurance. But some scammers pose as insurance agents to defraud Texas consumers. never pay insurance premiums in cash.
If the person or company is not listed as a licensed insurance agent or agency, report this information to the Texas Department of Insurance.
See also: How To Make Break-In And Theft Claims On Home Insurance – Forbes Advisor