the cost of auto insurance for a 21 year old per month varies. your location, driving history, and policy type can make a big difference. you should try to join her parent’s policy, if possible, to get the lowest rates. expect to spend roughly $70-$240 monthly.
average cost of auto insurance per month for a 21 year old driver
Below is the average monthly auto insurance cost for 21-year-olds. we have also specified the price as a state minimum policy, civil liability car insurance or total coverage. this gives you a good starting point when researching insurance. keep in mind that the average price is lower if you qualify to be on your parents’ policy.
what affects auto insurance prices for 21 year old drivers?
- Your age when you received your license – Generally, the more driving experience your teen has, the lower their insurance will be. for example, a driver who started at age 16 is more likely to have lower rates than a driver who started driving at age 18
- driving record: Teen insurance rates are already the highest in the country. If your teen has a history related to an accident, it can send your rates skyrocketing
- Speeding Tickets and Other Violations – Any prior type of violation, such as a speeding ticket, will significantly increase your rates. keeping a safe driving record that shows your teen is responsible helps a lot
- driver education: many insurers offer a discount for participating in a safe driving course
- separate insurance vs. parent’s insurance: If your teen is still living at home, you can save hundreds of dollars by adding it to your policy
- State Laws: Prices vary by state. For example, someone in North Carolina pays significantly less than someone in Florida
- Join Parents Policy – You can save hundreds of dollars if your parents add it to their policy.
- low mileage: If you know you won’t be driving often, ask your insurer about a low mileage discount. this is something almost anyone can take advantage of, not just teenagers.
- anti-theft devices: Some insurers offer a discount when you install an anti-theft device in your vehicle. the discount will vary depending on your state and the type of anti-theft device.
- safe driving: With today’s technology, you can download apps that monitor your driving habits. some insurers offer discounts for driving safely while using these apps.=
- type of car: Buying a cheaper vintage car will cost you less with insurance than buying a new sports car. since the car is worth less, your insurance is worth less. you can save even more by leaving out comprehensive and collision coverage.
- add another driver to your policy: You can lower your rate by adding a more experienced driver to your policy. especially if this is your first time driving, this can be very beneficial. just make sure they have no prior claims or convictions.
tips to save money with insurance for young adults
We have compiled a list of discounts available to young drivers. These are easy discounts that most people can qualify for.
Be sure to take advantage of any discounts you can to lower your rates as much as possible!
how to start your search
Finding the best and cheapest car insurance for a driver under the age of 21 can be a challenge. requires researching, comparing prices and requesting applicable discounts. everyone is different. what might work well for your friend might be a terrible problem for you. don’t be afraid to contact insurers by phone and ask questions.
Get instant quotes tailored to your needs – fill out our short form today!